Monday, January 4, 2010

Trivia Night is On!

Thanks to Connie Johnston's expertise the Trivia Night is all set! Hosted by Edna & Terry Robinson at the Russell House on Saturday, January 16th.

I've got quite a few chores to do to ensure the night is a success. I wanted to wait until the commotion of the holiday season had passed before pushing this on people and so I started in earnest this morning. Of course, the first 3-people I tried to contact were unreachable! One no longer worked at that location (of course without leaving any new contact details), one the phone number no longer worked as the office had moved (with no update yet available on the Internet) and the other just isn't answering! A rather cool start to what I had hoped would be a busy, hopping morning! Maybe I should head off to the gym and get in a workout and start again this afternoon on a fresh start . . .

This past weekend I was in contact with Martin Coulombe from Québec City. Martin is in the Kili climbing group and seems to be a keen hiker. He invited me to join him on a training hike on Mt. Washington on January 16th. Of course, that's the date of the fund raiser!! I suspect that when the Kili hike is over that I'll be joining Martin a few times for other hikes. Looking at the photos on his Facebook page, they appear to be a lot of fun.

I've created a personal equipment list and I'm pretty much on track. Just missing a hard shell that I'm hoping to pick up in the next week or so. Rosemary (from CARE) wants to have a group meeting at her Ottawa office so that we can get to know each other and ensure we're all ready for this adventure. Martin tells me this is going to happen on January 18th. A good date and I'll hopefully have some good news to report from the Trivia Night.

Raising money isn't that easy. Certainly, I think I'd have a better chance if I was still working as I had a lot of business contacts in those days. Being the hi-tech trade, many of my former contacts have moved on and have proven difficult to track. Had I still been in the industry, I would have kept tabs on everyone. As it is, I've pretty much obliterated it all from my memory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment