Sunday, December 20, 2009

Too cold!! Brrrrr!

Okay, I admit it. I'm a big wuss when it comes to the cold weather. For the first weekend in about 6-weeks I didn't go for a hike in the Gatineau Hills. However, in my defense, I think that given how I work up such a sweat, I would have froze to death in the sub -20°C temperatures! I still don't have a complete set of hiking layers for those temperatures. I need a few more visits to MEC & Bushtuka first.

Speaking of that, I found a new outdoor supply store in the Ottawa region: Atmosphere. They're part of the Sports Experts group and appear (at least on line) to have the right type of gear. I'm going to visit them this week to check them out. (Perhaps I can entice them to sponsor the team's Goretex Shells?)

It appears that the team is now down to six members as Sacha (from Québec) has apparently screwed up some important part of his leg. I'm still surprised that Stephen has not signed up, but until he does, I'm going to assume the team is made up of Kevin, Amélie, Jo Ann, Martin, Ramona and myself. Today I was jibbing Ramona about how she has passed me in the money raising front and she said she hasn't really started yet! Yikes! I better get going! As of right now, most of my eggs are in the Trivia Night basket.

I've been reading a *lot* about other treks up Kilimanjaro and am really satisfied that we're going with Tusker Trail. They seem to be THE top guide group and the most 'professional'. There are a lot of horror stories regarding other fly-by-night guide groups, whipping you up the mountain on the Coca-Cola trail as quickly as possibly, trekkers puking their guts out and screaming with headaches caused by ascending to high altitude too quickly.

I've restarted my gym membership today and I'm back on the "stairway to hell" tomorrow. Can't wait! I need to strengthen the area around my knees due to a past ACL injury. I suspect that coming down the mountain will cause me a bit of pain. If I can muscle it up a bit, perhaps I can minimise the prospect of pain. I hate pain just about as much as I hate the cold!

Don't forget that you can sponsor me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment