Monday, January 11, 2010

Another fantastic day in the hills!

I had a fantastic day of hiking up on the Eardley Escarpment with Rosemary & Marc yesterday. The morning started 'crisp' at about -20C but it warmed up to a nice and toasty -10C by days end.

The views from the ridge were spectacular as it seems that it had snowed during the week - at least on one side of the hill - as the trees were heavily laden with snow and a thin layer of ice. The forest was alive with cracking branches and falling ice.

Our morning started with a brunch at Nate's as I had to first drop off a painting for Pina at the Ottawa Little Theatre Gallery. We did the Wolf Trail in our usual time and Rose took some really great photos along the way with my cantankerous new little camera. In spite of this being a snowshoe trail, all the snowshoe trod hikers ahead of us had packed the trail down quite nicely and we were easily able to complete the hike with our normal trail footwear. My new Zamberlans are still fantastic! Excellent grip and more than adequately warm. My feet weren't overheated nor were they ever cold. Just right! I do need my new shell, though. Pronto! This one just doesn't breathe properly and I was laden with sweat. I wasn't cold, as I was wearing a woolen commando sweater, and wool retains the body heat even when soaked through. However, had I stopped walking at all, I imagine I would have started to cool off rapidly. As it was, I was quite warm enough the whole day. My new Arcteryx shell is on order!

I'm starting to get excited with the Kilimanjaro climb only a couple of weeks away! The fund raising Trivia Night & Art Auction is coming together nicely with almost all the tables filled and the local businesses have come through with some great prizes! It'll be a fun night and I'm sure we'll raise lots of money for CARE!

No comments:

Post a Comment